Roberto Cerini prepares eggplant parmesan the Easy Cooking way. It's simple and VERY tasty. Just lightly fry two sliced eggplant, get tomato sauce, mozzarella and parmesan cheese and you're all set. In the over for 40 minutes at 400 degrees.
2 , peeled
1 Cup (16 tbs)
1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (For deep frying)
1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)
To Taste (Curing and salt is washed away)
For tomato sauce
Canned whole tomatoes
7 Ounce, pureed
1 , chopped finely
1⁄2 , chopped finely
1⁄4 Teaspoon (Optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Peel the eggplant, cut off the tops and ends and cut in about ¼ inch thick slices lengthwise.
3. Arrange sliced eggplant on a plate in single layer, sprinkle it with salt, cover with paper towel, put other layer and set aside for an hour.
4. After an hour, rinse the eggplant and dry it on a paper towel.
For tomato sauce
5. In a saucepan, heat olive oil, and saute garlic and onions until soft.
6. Add in oregano if using, tomatoes and salt to taste, cover and allow to cook for 15 to 20 minutes.
7. In a skillet, heat vegetable olive oil and fry eggplant in it until light brown in colour.
8. Remove the eggplant slices using a slotted spoon or tongs and drain it on paper towel.
9. In the bottom of a foil lined baking dish, spread some of the tomato sauce.
10. Arrange eggplant slice over it in a single layer.
11. Sprinkle parmesan cheese over it and layer it with mozzarella slices.
12. Repeat to make more layers of eggplant, parmesan and mozzarella.
13. Bake it in the oven for 40 minutes or until light brown on top.
14. Remove it from the oven and allow to cool.
15. Cut in squares and serve hot as desired.