|Eggplants||2 , peeled|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Mozzarella slices||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Vegetable oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (For deep frying)|
|Grated parmesan||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Salt||To Taste (Curing and salt is washed away)|
|For tomato sauce|
|Canned whole tomatoes||7 Ounce, pureed|
|Garlic clove||1 , chopped finely|
|Onion||1⁄2 , chopped finely|
|Oregano||1⁄4 Teaspoon (Optional)|
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Peel the eggplant, cut off the tops and ends and cut in about ¼ inch thick slices lengthwise.
3. Arrange sliced eggplant on a plate in single layer, sprinkle it with salt, cover with paper towel, put other layer and set aside for an hour.
4. After an hour, rinse the eggplant and dry it on a paper towel.
For tomato sauce
5. In a saucepan, heat olive oil, and saute garlic and onions until soft.
6. Add in oregano if using, tomatoes and salt to taste, cover and allow to cook for 15 to 20 minutes.
7. In a skillet, heat vegetable olive oil and fry eggplant in it until light brown in colour.
8. Remove the eggplant slices using a slotted spoon or tongs and drain it on paper towel.
9. In the bottom of a foil lined baking dish, spread some of the tomato sauce.
10. Arrange eggplant slice over it in a single layer.
11. Sprinkle parmesan cheese over it and layer it with mozzarella slices.
12. Repeat to make more layers of eggplant, parmesan and mozzarella.
13. Bake it in the oven for 40 minutes or until light brown on top.
14. Remove it from the oven and allow to cool.
15. Cut in squares and serve hot as desired.
Calories 629 Calories from Fat 386
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 44 g67.4%
Saturated Fat 16.2 g81.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 74.6 mg24.9%
Sodium 1185.3 mg49.4%
Total Carbohydrates 34 g11.4%
Dietary Fiber 14.7 g58.7%
Sugars 10.6 g
Protein 31 g61.9%
Vitamin A 27.5% Vitamin C 33.7%
Calcium 73.4% Iron 17.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet