Moorish Curried Rice and Eggplant
|Milk/Salt water||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Adjust Quantity As Needed To Cover Eggplant When Sliced)|
|Water||4 1⁄2 Cup (72 tbs)|
|Brown rice||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Curry powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Chopped green peppers||3 1⁄2 Cup (56 tbs)|
|Chopped fresh tomatoes||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|Butter/Oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (For Sauteeing)|
|Lemon juice||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Tamari||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Tomato paste||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
1. In a large saucepan or a stock pot, wash and soak the rice in 4 ½ cups water.
2. Wash the egg plants and cut off the stems.
3. Using a sharp paring knife, peel the eggplant so as to remove the skin.
4. Slice the fleshy part into ½ inch thick long strips.
5. Soak the eggplants in milk or salted water.
6. Place the stock pot of soaked rice on a medium flame and bring the water to a boil.
7. When boiling, stir the curry powder into the rice.
8. Reduce the heat, cover the pot with a lid and allow the rice to simmer until tender and fluffy.
9. Drained the soaked eggplants and pat dry.
10. In a heavy bottomed skillet, heat oil or melt butter.
11. When hot, add the eggplants and fry for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
12. Using a slotted spoon, remove the eggplants onto a platter lined with paper towel. Keep aside until later.
13. In the same skillet, to the remaining oil or butter, add the tomatoes, green peppers and sauté for 2 minutes.
14. Further add the lemon juice, tamari, tomato paste and water and stir to blend well.
15. Reduce the flame and simmer the sauce for 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
16. Finally add the sautéed eggplants and sauté in the sauce until well heated.
17. To serve this dish, make a bed of hot curried rice on each serving plate.
18. Ladle the eggplant and gravy over the rice.
19. Serve accompanied with a cool yogurt on the side.
Calories 554 Calories from Fat 109
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 13 g19.4%
Saturated Fat 6.2 g31.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 23.9 mg8%
Sodium 1246.2 mg51.9%
Total Carbohydrates 100 g33.4%
Dietary Fiber 14.4 g57.6%
Sugars 15.7 g
Protein 16 g31.3%
Vitamin A 48.5% Vitamin C 165.2%
Calcium 14.1% Iron 25.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet