1) Take the eggplant to peel and cut into cubes of 1-inch dimension.
2) In a bowl, combine butter and cracker crumbs.
3) In a saucepan, add small amount of water. Bring this to a boil and add the eggplant cubes to cook for 10 minutes or until tender.
4) Drain off the excess water and allow cooling slightly.
5) In a fry pan, add sausage and onion to cook until they are brown.
6) In a bowl, add eggplant, sausage mixture, egg and breadcrumbs. Thoroughly combine the mixture.
7) Use a 1-quart casserole to grease. Spoon the mixture on the casserole.
8) Sprinkle the crumb mixture on top.
9) Set your oven at 350° and place the casserole inside oven.
10) Bake for 25 minutes.
11) Serve this on side with your choice of bread or rice.