Eggplant Tofu Casserole
|Eggplant||1 1⁄2 Pound|
|Oriental sesame oil||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Finely chopped onion||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Chopped red bell pepper||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), minced|
|Firm tofu||5 Ounce, squeezed dry|
|Grated low fat swiss cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Grated parmesan cheese||3 Tablespoon|
|Whole wheat breadcrumbs||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs) (Fresh)|
|Chopped fresh parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Ground cumin||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground coriander||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Black pepper||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Red pepper flakes||1 Pinch|
1. Preheat the oven to 325°. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Halve the eggplants lengthwise, place them cut side down on the sheet and bake 40 minutes, or until completely soft.
3. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a medium-size nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, bell pepper and garlic, and saute about 15 minutes, or until soft; set aside.
4. Leaving the oven at 325°, scoop the cooked eggplant flesh into a large bowl and mash it with a fork. Add the sauteed vegetables, tofu, Swiss cheese, 2 tablespoons of Parmesan, all but 2 tablespoons of the bread crumbs, the parsley, salt and spices, and stir well.
5. Transfer the mixture to a 1-quart baking dish, sprinkle with the remaining bread crumbs and Parmesan and bake 30 minutes.