Tasteful Eggplant Parmesan
|Eggplant||2 Large, diced in 1/2 inch slices|
|Olive oil||1 Cup (16 tbs) (for deep frying)|
|Sauce||8 Cup (128 tbs)|
|Mozzarella cheese||8 Ounce, sliced thinly|
|Parmigiano reggiano cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), grated|
1. Using a sharp knife, cut off the top and bottom, and slice it into half inch thick slices.
2. Place a wire rack over a baking tray, arrange the slices on the rack and sprinkle with salt, allow to sit for 1 hour, until it releases some liquid, discard the liquid.
3. After 1 hour, rinse the slices in cold water to remove the salt.
4. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
5. In a shallow bowl, break the eggs, add in salt, pepper, water and garlic powder and beat well.
6. In a plate spread the seasoned flour.
7. On a large pan, on medium high heat, heat about ½ inch of olive oil, until it sizzles when you sprinkle a drop of water.
8. Dip the eggplant in egg mixture and the in flour and fry until golden brown.
9. Drain the eggplant slices, on the paper towels.
10. In a baking dish, put a layer of sauce, arrange the eggplant slices in single layer and sprinkle with salt ad pepper.
11. Put mozzarella slices in single layer and top it with grated parmesan.
12. Repeat the layer, with sauce, eggplant, mozzarella and parmesan, cover the final layer with sauce, and cheeses.
13. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, until its bubbly and starts to brown on top.
14. Serve hot as desired.
Calories 479 Calories from Fat 267
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 30 g46.5%
Saturated Fat 9.9 g49.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 144.8 mg48.3%
Sodium 1972.3 mg82.2%
Total Carbohydrates 37 g12.5%
Dietary Fiber 13.5 g53.9%
Sugars 18 g
Protein 19 g38.3%
Vitamin A 51.3% Vitamin C 47.1%
Calcium 32.8% Iron 21%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet