A delicious, vegan eggplant parmesan recipe! I used brown rice instead of pasta in this video, but I HIGHLY recommend using pasta instead. The rice turned out a bit too crunchy.
1 Large, sliced into 1/4 inch pieces
Coarse sea salt
2 Tablespoon (Salt rub and salt is washed away)
Extra firm tofu
1 Large, sliced into 8
Whole wheat pastry flour
1 Cup (16 tbs)
Soy milk/Non dairy milk
1 Cup (16 tbs)
1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs) (as required)
Canned tomato sauce
10 Ounce (1 can)
2 Clove (10 gm), minced
Salt and pepper
2 Cup (32 tbs) (whole wheat pasta)
1 Cup (16 tbs) (or vegan cheese alternatives)
1. In a flat bowl layer the eggplants and sprinkle coarse sea salt. Let it sit for around 20 minutes (to remove bitterness if any). Wash it in water. Set aside.
2. VEGAN BUTTERMILK: In another wide mouthed bowl, pour the soy milk. Add the lemon juice to it and stir. It should curdle or become grainy to look like buttermilk. Set aside.
3. In yet another bowl, mix tomato sauce, garlic and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
4. Take a slice of the eggplant. Dip it in the vegan buttermilk. Dredge it in the flour till well coated on both sides.
5. Heat 2 teaspoon olive oil in a frying pan on medium heat. Put the coated eggplant slices in it and fry till golden brown on both sides.
6. Repeat Steps 5 and 6 with all the eggplant and tofu slices (Keep adding 2 teaspoon of olive oil occasionally to the frying pan as and when required to avoid burning of slices).
7. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
8. In a baking dish spread the cooked whole wheat pasta. Arrange the fried eggplant and tofu slices on it.
9. Pour the tomato sauce mixture on top evenly and sprinkle nutritional yeast generously.
10. Bake it in the preheated oven for around 20 minutes or till done. Remove from oven and let it sit for a few minutes before serving.
11. In a serving plate serve the vegan eggplant and Parmesan and enjoy it warm.
This is a simple recipe that you are going to love! Vegan eggplant and tofu parmesan is a veganised version of this popular dish which is non-traditional because of the addition of tofu. Tofu is an important ingredient of this dish so make sure it is extra firm.