Eggplant Parmesan (Vegan)
|Eggplant||1 Large, sliced into 1/4 inch pieces|
|Coarse sea salt||2 Tablespoon (Salt rub and salt is washed away)|
|Extra firm tofu||1 Large, sliced into 8|
|Whole wheat pastry flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Soy milk/Non dairy milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Olive oil||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs) (as required)|
|Canned tomato sauce||10 Ounce (1 can)|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), minced|
|Salt and pepper||To Taste|
|Cooked pasta||2 Cup (32 tbs) (whole wheat pasta)|
|Nutritional yeast||1 Cup (16 tbs) (or vegan cheese alternatives)|
1. In a flat bowl layer the eggplants and sprinkle coarse sea salt. Let it sit for around 20 minutes (to remove bitterness if any). Wash it in water. Set aside.
2. VEGAN BUTTERMILK: In another wide mouthed bowl, pour the soy milk. Add the lemon juice to it and stir. It should curdle or become grainy to look like buttermilk. Set aside.
3. In yet another bowl, mix tomato sauce, garlic and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
4. Take a slice of the eggplant. Dip it in the vegan buttermilk. Dredge it in the flour till well coated on both sides.
5. Heat 2 teaspoon olive oil in a frying pan on medium heat. Put the coated eggplant slices in it and fry till golden brown on both sides.
6. Repeat Steps 5 and 6 with all the eggplant and tofu slices (Keep adding 2 teaspoon of olive oil occasionally to the frying pan as and when required to avoid burning of slices).
7. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
8. In a baking dish spread the cooked whole wheat pasta. Arrange the fried eggplant and tofu slices on it.
9. Pour the tomato sauce mixture on top evenly and sprinkle nutritional yeast generously.
10. Bake it in the preheated oven for around 20 minutes or till done. Remove from oven and let it sit for a few minutes before serving.
11. In a serving plate serve the vegan eggplant and Parmesan and enjoy it warm.