Eggplant And Macaroni
|Elbow macaroni||4 Ounce (Package)|
|All purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Pork sausage||16 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Mozzarella cheese||16 Ounce, shredded (1 Package)|
|Frozen peas and carrots||10 Ounce (1 Package, Thawed)|
|Spaghetti sauce||15 1⁄2 Ounce|
1. Prepare elbow macaroni as label directs but omit salt; drain.
2. Meanwhile, on waxed paper, mix flour with salt. Cut eggplant lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices; coat slices with flour mixture. In 12-inch skillet over medium heat, in 1/4 cup hot salad oil, cook eggplant, a few slices at a time, until lightly browned on both sides, adding more oil as needed. Remove eggplant slices as they brown to paper towels to drain.
3. In same skillet, over medium heat, cook pork-sausage meat until well browned, stirring frequently to break up sausage. With slotted spoon, remove sausage to large bowl; discard drippings in skillet. Into sausage mixture, stir cooked macaroni, mozzarella cheese, thawed peas and carrots, and half of spaghetti sauce until well mixed.
4. Preheat oven to 350°F. Set aside 2 large egg plant slices. Line 2 1/2-quart straight-sided casserole or souffle dish with remaining eggplant slices, overlapping slices slightly and allowing ends to extend slightly over side of casserole. Spoon macaroni mixture into eggplant-lined casserole. Top with remaining 2 eggplant slices; fold eggplant ends over top of casserole. Bake 50 minutes or until mixture is hot.
5. Remove casserole from oven; let stand 15 minutes. If necessary, use paper towels to blot excess oil from top of casserole. In small saucepan, heat remaining spaghetti sauce. Carefully invert casserole into deep platter. Spoon sauce on platter around eggplant mixture.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3780 Calories from Fat 2130
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 239 g367.9%
Saturated Fat 106.6 g532.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 780.2 mg260.1%
Sodium 7944.7 mg331%
Total Carbohydrates 212 g70.5%
Dietary Fiber 41.6 g166.6%
Sugars 37.3 g
Protein 205 g410.6%
Vitamin A 678.6% Vitamin C 95.9%
Calcium 266.2% Iron 101%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet