1. In a bowl whisk the eggs and sugar.
2. In a heavy bottom saucepan pour the whole milk and start heating the milk on low heat, occasionally stir and allow the temperature to reach 160 degrees F,check the temperature with a candy thermometer, do not let it boil.
3. Once the milk reaches 160 degrees F. pour the milk slowly while whisking into the eggs, this will avoid the eggs to scramble and it’s called the tempering process.
4. When all the mixtures have combined, transfer it in the same saucepan and simmer on low heat or until you reach temperature of 160 degrees F.
5. When the egg mixture coats the back of a spoon then it’s ready. Remove from the heat and keep it aside.
6. In another bowl combine the heavy whipping cream and the vanilla and beat with the whisk until it thickens and not become stiff.
7. Pour the whipped cream into the egg mixture and stir until. Grate the nutmeg into the eggnog and stir.
8. Strain the eggnog through a strainer into another bowl to remove any lumps.
9. Refrigerate the eggnog until it is cold before drinking. Add rum or brandy at this point if you wish.
10. Serve the eggnog cold and enjoy the delicious beverage.
You can add brandy or rum to make an alcoholic version.