Mark Hix's Chopped Duck Livers on Toast with Fried Pheasant Egg
|Shallots||2 Large, peeled, finely chopped|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), peeled, finely chopped|
|Duck liver/Chicken liver||250 Gram, cleaned, cut into chunks|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (or to taste)|
|Cracked black pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon (or to taste)|
|Pheasant eggs||4 Large|
|Olive oil/Canola oil||2 Tablespoon (for frying)|
|Bread clices||4 Large, toasted (to serve)|
1. Melt half the butter in a saucepan and gently cook the shallots and garlic for 3-4 minutes, stirring every so often until soft, then remove from the heat.
2. Dry the chicken livers on some kitchen paper. Season them.
3. Melt the rest of the butter in a frying pan until it begins to foam. 4. Add the livers and cook them for a couple of minutes on each side and add a dash of sherry to the pan.
5. Remove from the heat, transfer to a bowl and mix with the shallots and garlic.
6. With a heavy knife, chop the livers fairly finely on a chopping board, or give them literally a few seconds in a food processor and re-season if necessary.
7. Lightly fry the pheasant eggs in the oil.
8. Spoon the livers generously onto the toast and place the fried eggs on top.
Calories 503 Calories from Fat 300
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 34 g52.3%
Saturated Fat 15.1 g75.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 172.8 mg57.6%
Sodium 787 mg32.8%
Total Carbohydrates 27 g9%
Dietary Fiber 1.4 g5.5%
Sugars 0.4 g
Protein 22 g43.3%
Vitamin A 1030.4% Vitamin C 2.5%
Calcium 5% Iron 59.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet