Egg in the Hole" was one of my favorite breakfasts from childhood. This dish is especially great because there's lots of fun stuff the little ones can do to help you prepare it -- getting to make the holes in the bread is probably the most fun. When I was a kid, a simple drinking glass did the trick. But here at weelicious, we believe things can always be MORE fun. Well, cookie cutters aren't JUST for making cookies, you know. While you're getting everything ready to prepare the "Egg in the Hole", your little ones can rummage through your cookie cutters and pick the shape they want their egg to be. Say hello to "Egg in the Witch", "Egg in the Gingerbread Man", "Egg in the Star", and more! In no time flat you'll have a delicious high protein and carbohydrate meal that's the perfect start to a day....and never boring!
Whole wheat bread slices
1. Using a cookie cutter, press out the center of the pieces of bread reserving the cut out.
2. Heat a large saute pan over medium heat and melt the butter.
3. Add the pieces of bread and the center cut outs to the pan.
4. Break 1 egg into each cutout, sprinkle with salt to taste and cook for 2-3 minutes.
5. Flip the bread gently and cook to desired doneness (2-3 minutes total for runny eggs and 5 minutes total for firm eggs).
6. Serve each piece of bread with the cut out.