Sweet Pepper, Eggplant, Tomato, And Arugula Sandwich
|Eggplant||1 Medium, cut into 1/2-inch slices|
|Kosher salt||1 Pinch (good pinch)|
|Red bell peppers||2|
|Yellow bell peppers||2|
|Extra virgin olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Vidalia/Other sweet onion||1 Large, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices|
|Focaccia buns/Bakery focaccia sandwich buns||4 (Homemade)|
|Coarse grain mustard||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Papaya||1 Cup (16 tbs), peeled, seeded and diced|
|Fresh lime juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Freshly ground pepper||1 Teaspoon|
|Tomatoes||2 , each cut into 4 slices|
|Arugula||2 Ounce, trimmed and washed (1 bunch)|
1. Start preparing a charcoal, wood, or gas grill or preheat the broiler
2. In a colander, place the eggplant and season with salt, and let the slices stand upright in it, for 60 minutes
3. On a grill, place the peppers and roast them
4. Take out the peppers and cook them, rotate peppers on all sides while cooking, cook for 10 minutes, till the skins turn black.
5. In a bowl, put the peppers and take plastic wrap and cover the bowl, set aside to cool for 15 minutes.
6. Start by peeling off the charred skin and discard the cores, stems, and seeds, also take the peppers and tear into large flat strips
7. Turn the tap on and place eggplant under under cold, running water and rinse it thoroughly, then pat dry. Lay the eggplant and brush the with about half the olive oil. 8. On a griller, place the eggplant for 3 minutes, and grill till lightly browned. Take the eggplant and turn it over and cook for 2 minutes, till it turns tender, and later set aside on a plate, and let it cool to room temperature.
9. On a grill, place the onion slices with the remaining oil, first rub the slices on this oil, then grill for 4 minutes, turn the slices over and cook for 3 minutes, till onions turn tender
10. Take out the onions from the grill and let it cool to room temperature
11. Lay the focaccia buns and cut them in half lengthwise. 12. On a grill, lay the buns cut side down, and cook for 2 minutes, till buns are toasted properly.
12. In a food processor, combine the mustard, papaya, lime juice, and black pepper and process to a paste
13. Take the focaccia buns and spread with the mustard mix , also divide the eggplant slices evenly among the 4 bottom halves
14. On top of the eggplant, sprinkle with red and yellow pepper slices, grilled onions, tomato slices, and finally with the arugula
15. Close each sandwich with the top of the buns.
16. Serve with a sauce of your choice