Red Beet Eggs
|Water||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Fresh beets||1 Pound, peeled and trimmed (small, each about 1 1/2 to 2 inches in diameter)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Distilled white vinegar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Hard cooked eggs||6 , peeled and cooled|
1. In a 2- to 3-quart enameled saucepan, bring the water to a boil over high heat, drop in the beets, reduce the heat to low and cover the pan tightly.
2. Simmer for 30 to 40 minutes until the beets show no resistance when pierced with the point of a small sharp knife.
3. With a slotted spoon, transfer the beets to a plate.
4. To the beet juice add the sugar and vinegar and bring to a boil, stirring until the sugar dissolves.
5. To the pan return the beets and turning them frequently cook over low heat for about 5 minutes.
6. Drain the beets in a sieve set over a deep bowl and put them aside.
7. To the beet juice add the eggs and turn them about with a spoon to moisten them evenly.
8. Place the beets on top of the eggs cool to room temperature and then cover tightly with foil or plastic wrap.
9. Marinate in the refrigerator for about 12 hours before serving.
10. Remove the eggs from the beet juice and pat them dry with paper towels.
11. Cut the eggs lengthwise into halves and arrange them attractively on a platter.
12. Slice the beets 1/4 inch thick and put them into a serving bowl.
13. Pour in the juice and serve the beets from the bowl.