Devils Food Cookies
|Shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||1 3⁄4 Cup (28 tbs)|
|Cocoa||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Butter flavoring||1 Teaspoon|
|Marshmallows||20 Large, cut in half|
|For chocolate frosting(see below)|
|Semi sweet chocolate morsels||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Milk||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Sifted powdered sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
1. Pre-heat oven to 350° F.
2. In a bowl, cream shortening and sugar, beating well.
3. Break in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
4. Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and vanilla extract, mix well; add to creamed mixture, beating well.
5. Add in vanilla and butter flavoring.
6. Chill dough at least 30 minutes.
7. Turn the dough into 1-inch balls; place on greased cookie sheets.
8. Bake for 8 minutes.
9. Keep one marshmallow half on top of each cookie; bake an additional 2 minutes.
10. Take away from oven and cool on wire racks.
11. TO MAKE CHOCOLATE FROSTING: Combine chocolate, milk and butter in a saucepan; cook, stirring constantly, over low heat, until chocolate melts.
12. Put in powdered sugar, beating until smooth.
13. Pour in additional milk, if needed, for proper spreading consistency.
14. Cover the cookies with Chocolate Frosting.
15. Serve as needed.