Egg Croquettes Amandine
|Butter/Margarine||4 Tablespoon (1/2 Stick)|
|Onion||1 Small, grated|
|All-purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), sifted|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Instant chicken broth/1 chicken bouillon cube||1 Tablespoon (1 Envelope)|
|Hard-cooked eggs||7 , shelled|
|Toasted slivered almonds||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (From A 5 Ounce Can)|
|Fine dry bread crumbs||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Vegetable shortening/Vegetable oil||2 Tablespoon|
1. In a medium-size saucepan, melt butter or margarine and cook stirring in onion, flour and cayenne stirring constantly just until bubbly.
2. Stir in milk and instant chicken broth or bouillon cube and continue cooking and stirring crushing bouillon cube if using with a spoon until sauce thickens and boils for 1 minute.
3. Chop eggs, stir into sauce with almonds and spoon into a shallow baking dish.
4. Chill several hours, or until firm enough to shape.
5. Beat raw egg with water in a pie plate and place bread crumbs in a second pie plate.
6. Divide egg mixture into 6 even portions and shape each into a cone with hands.
7. Dip each cone into egg mixture and then into crumbs to coat well.
8. In an electric deep-fat fryer or large saucepan melt enough vegetable shortening or pour in vegetable oil to make a 4-inch depth and heat to 390°.
9. Fry croquettes, 2 or 3 at a time and turning once, 2 to 4 minutes until golden.
10. With a slotted spoon lift out and drain well on paper toweling.
11. Keep warm until all are cooked.
12. Serve with chili sauce, if desired.