Baked Spinach And Eggs Au Gratin
|Bread cubes||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Spinach||20 Ounce, frozen, chopped (2 packets)|
|Onion||1 Medium, chopped|
|Muenster cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs), cubed|
|Nutmeg||1⁄8 Teaspoon, ground|
|Flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Parmesan cheese||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs), grated|
1) Preheat the oven to 325°F. Lightly grease a 6-cup baking dish.
2) In a medium skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of butter or margarine. Add in the bread cubes and saute till golden.
3) Place the bread crumbs in the bottom of the baking dish.
4) In the same skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of oil and saute the onions till they soften. Set aside.
5) In a medium saucepan, cook the spinach as per its packet instructions. Drain thoroughly. Add the spinach back into the saucepan. Add in onions, Muenster cheese, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Spoon the mixture over the bread crumbs.
6) In a small saucepan, melt butter or margarine. Add in flour and cook while stirring till the mixture starts to bubble. Slowly, pour in the milk. Cook for 1 minute till the sauce thickens and starts to bubble. Take the saucepan off the heat.
7) Add in parmesan cheese. Allow the mixture to cool down.
8) Separate 4 of the eggs and beat the egg whites in a medium bowl till they form soft peaks.
9) Beat the egg yolks to form a thick and fluffy mixture. Add in the cooled white sauce mixture, little by little. Fold in the egg whites and stir till no white streaks are seen.
10) Using a spoon, make four indentations in the spinach mixture, 1-inch from the edge of the dish.
11) Break the remaining four eggs into the four indentations. Spoon the souffle mixture over the top, right upto the edge.
12) Bake for 45 minutes or until it turns puffy firm and golden on top.
13) Serve the Baked Spinach and Eggs Au Gratin hot. Garnish with a sprinkling of cheese.