Gratin of Hard Boiled Eggs in Creamed Sorrel
|Hard boiled eggs||6 , halved|
|Fresh breadcrumbs||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Heavy cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1) Preheat the oven to 400° F (200° C).
2) In a pan, gently stew the finely shredded young and tender sorrel in 3 tablespoons butter.
3) For an older sorrel, blanch the leaves in boiling water and drain immediately when it comes to the boil.
4) In a pan, stew the sorrel in 3 tablespoons of butter, stirring frequently, for about 20 minutes, or until all the liquid has evaporated and the sorrel is a puree.
5) Gradually stir in the cream, to absorb the sorrel, then season with the salt and pepper to taste.
6) In a pan, saute the bread crumbs in the 5 tablespoons butter over a low heat, stirring or tossing until lightly golden.
7) In a suitable butted gratin dish, arrange the eggs, with the cut side upin a single layer.
8) Spoon over the hot sauce and sprinkle evenly with the sauteed bread crumbs .
9) Bake in the preheated oven for about 15 minutes, or until the gratin is thoroughly heated and top is lightly browned.
10) Serve the Gratin of Hard Boiled Eggs in Creamed Sorrel, immediately on individual serving plates.
Calories 607 Calories from Fat 511
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 58 g89%
Saturated Fat 32.1 g160.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 509.3 mg169.8%
Sodium 288.7 mg12%
Total Carbohydrates 11 g3.6%
Dietary Fiber 4.1 g16.6%
Sugars 1.4 g
Protein 15 g29.7%
Vitamin A 54.5% Vitamin C 104.9%
Calcium 16.1% Iron 23.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet