Baked Eggplant Mozzarella Eggs and Tomatoes
|Mozzarella cheese||3⁄4 Pound, cut into 1/4 inch slices|
|Eggplants||4 Large, trimmed, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices (Each About 6 Inches Long)|
|Eggs||3 , hard-boiled and sliced|
|Ripe tomatoes||1 Large, peeled and cut into 1/4 -inch slices|
|Freshly ground pepper||To Taste|
|Oil packed flat anchovy fillets||4 , drained and finely chopped|
|Fresh flat-leafed parsley||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped|
|Fresh basil leaves/2 tablespoons dried basil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm)|
|Olive oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1) Preheat the oven to 350° F.
2) On a large platter, arrange the eggplant slices.
3) On each slice, sprinkle 1/8 teaspoon of salt.
4) Let the slices remain at room temperature to dry out the excess moisture.
5) After this, drain the eggplant slices and dry them between paper towels. Keep aside.
6) Now, on each tomato slice, spread a little of the chopped anchovies.
7) In a buttered shallow dish (which can also be used for serving), or a 10 inch pie plate, arrange slices of eggplant, hard-boiled egg, tomato and mozzarella, in an overlapping manner.
8) Now, on top, sprinkle very little salt and pepper. Remember that the eggplant and anchovy are already salty.
9) Meanwhile, chop the parsley, basil and garlic together until very fine.
10) On the mixture in the platter, sprinkle this mix.
11) On top of all, sprinkle olive oil.
12) Cover the dish with a foil and bake for 30 minutes.
13) Now, bake uncovered for about 10 minutes more so that the excess moisture, if any, will evaporate. By now, the cheese will also begin to brown.
14) Serve this dish hot, lukewarm or cold, but not chilled.
Calories 581 Calories from Fat 339
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 38 g59%
Saturated Fat 14.4 g72%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 241.6 mg80.5%
Sodium 1552.8 mg64.7%
Total Carbohydrates 32 g10.7%
Dietary Fiber 16.8 g67%
Sugars 13.3 g
Protein 33 g66.5%
Vitamin A 52.1% Vitamin C 61.5%
Calcium 56.4% Iron 21.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet