Lancaster County Egg Cheese
|Eggs||6 , beaten|
|Buttermilk||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Milk||2 Quart, warmed|
1) In a bowl, combine the beaten eggs, buttermilk, salt and sugar. Beat lightly.
2) In a pan, place the warmed milk and to this, pour the egg mixture.
3) Cover and heat for several minutes over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally.
4) Now, uncover and watch for the curds (the cheese) and the whey to separate.
5) As soon as they separate, into a pierced mold, spoon the curds gently using a slotted spoon.
6) On a bowl, balance the mold. The liquid can drip into this bowl.
7) Now, let the curds cool and drain.
8) When cooled and drained, onto a dish, unmold the cheese.
9) Serve the egg cheese with bread and molasses.
If you drop the curds into a sieve, the cheese will become as heavy as lead. Hence, it is important to remove the curds very delicately from the pan and just place in the mold.