Potted Ham With Egg Plants
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Milk||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Butter||1 Tablespoon (1/8 Stick)|
|All purpose flour||1 Tablespoon|
|Dijon mustard/Pepper mustard||2 Teaspoon|
|Olive oil||2 Cup (32 tbs) (For Frying And Greasing)|
|Dry white wine||4 Tablespoon|
|Powdered gelatin||1 Teaspoon|
|Cooked ham||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs), chopped|
|Heavy cream||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Parsley||2 Tablespoon, chopped|
1. Thinly slice one of the eggplants into roundels.
2. Arrange the slices on a baking sheet and sprinkle with salt. Let stand for 30 minutes to extract the bitter juices.
3. Grease 4 soufflé dishes or ramekins with oil
4. Preheat the broiler, oven or grill.
5. Roast the eggplant until skin is blistered and charred and flash id soft, turning occasionally.
6. Remove and wrap in a damp cloth and lat stand in steam for about 10 minutes.
7. Remove the skin and discard.
8. Roughly chop the eggplant and with ham to a food processor and blend into a puree. Keep aside.
9. Rinse salted eggplant slices and squeeze as much water by patting between layers of paper towels.
10. In a large flat skillet or frying pan, heat a little oil.
11. Arrange eggplant slices a few at a time and brown on both sides.
12. Remove and drain on paper towels.
13. Add more oil and fry remaining slices. Keep aside.
14. To make the sauce, in a saucepan, melt the butter.
15. Stir in the flour and cook till frothy.
16. Add milk, stirring constantly and cook sauce until thick and bubbly.
17. Take pan off the heat and season sauce with mustard, salt and pepper.
18. Cover surface of sauce with waxed paper and leave to cool
19. Heat wine in a small pan then dissolve gelatin. Let to stand for 2 minutes.
20. Line bottom and sides of greased dishes with eggplant slices, overlapping them.
21. Whip cream until stiff and fold into the eggplant and ham puree.
22. Stir dissolved gelatin and fold it into the eggplant-ham cream
23. Add half the parsley and season to taste and mix well.
24. Spoon this into dishes over eggplant slices.
25. Tap the dishes on the worktop to expel air bubbles.
26. Cover and refrigerate to chill for at least 2 hours.
27. Unmold onto serving plates.
28. Garnish with parsley and serve with hot buttered toast and a salad if you like.