Eclairs A L'Orange
|Water||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|70% buttermilk vegetable oil spread||3 Tablespoon|
|All purpose flour||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Whole eggs||2 Large|
|Egg white||1 Large|
|Nonstick vegetable oil cooking spray||1 Tablespoon|
|For pastry cream|
|1 % low fat milk||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Granulated sugar||3 Tablespoon|
|All purpose flour||4 Teaspoon|
|Egg yolk||1 Large|
|70% buttermilk vegetable oil spread||1 Teaspoon|
|Grated orange zest||2 Teaspoon|
|Orange extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Pure vanilla extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Frozen fat free nondairy whipped topping||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), thawed|
|For chocolate glaze|
|Skimmed sweetened condensed milk||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Unsweetened cocoa powder||2 Tablespoon|
|Water||4 Teaspoon (Or As Needed)|
1. Make eclairs: In small, heavy saucepan, combine 3/4 cup water, vegetable oil spread, and salt. Bring to a boil. When vegetable oil spread melts, remove from heat. Add flour all at once and mix rapidly with wooden spoon until mixture comes together in a ball. Place saucepan over low heat for 3 to 4 minutes to dry dough, mixing continually with wooden spoon. Dough should be soft and not stick to your fingers. Transfer dough to food processor or large bowl of a heavy-duty electric mixer. Cool 5 minutes.
2. Add whole eggs and egg white, one at a time, mixing until completely smooth after each addition. (This can be done by hand, but it is much easier in food processor or heavy-duty electric mixer.)
3. Coat baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Fill large pastry bag (without tip) with dough. Onto baking sheet, squeeze out 8 eclairs, each about 1 inch in diameter and about 4 inches in length. Let stand at least 30 minutes to dry.
4. Preheat oven to 375°.
5. Bake eclairs in 375° oven until golden and cooked all the way through, 35 to 45 minutes. Transfer to wire rack to cool.
6. Meanwhile, make pastry cream: In small, heavy saucepan, stir milk, sugar, flour, cornstarch, and salt, until blended. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil and thickens, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat. In small bowl, lightly beat egg yolk. Gradually whisk in about 1/4 cup hot milk mixture. Whisk egg yolk mixture back into milk mixture in pan. Return pan to medium-low heat and whisk mixture until it just barely begins to simmer, about 30 seconds. Remove from heat. Stir in vegetable oil spread, orange zest, and orange and vanilla extracts, until smooth and melted. Transfer to bowl. Press plastic wrap directly onto surface. Cool to room temperature. Then chill thoroughly in refrigerator, about 2 hours. Fold in whipped topping. Refrigerate until ready to assemble.
7. To assemble eclairs: Cut each eclair in half lengthwise. Spoon about 2 tablespoons pastry cream into each eclair bottom. Replace tops.
8. Make glaze: In small saucepan, combine condensed milk and cocoa powder. Heat over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture bubbles and thickens, 1 to 2 minutes. Spread over tops of eclairs. If glaze is too thick to spread, thin with 2 to 4 teaspoons of water. These are best eaten immediately or soon after making, and definitely the same day. (Make sure you invite friends over so you don't eat more than one!)