How To Eat Dragon Fruit
Dragon fruit is a tasty fruit but looks a bit complicated and makes you wonder how to eat dragon fruit. The fruit, as you rightly guessed, has its root in Southeast Asia and is very nutritious and is easy on the stomach. But eating dragon fruit looks difficult as it has a hard outer cover, but knowing how to eat it should simplify the problem.
How to eat dragon fruit?
Dragon fruit can be eaten by following these five easy steps:
- The first thing to remember before eating dragon fruit is to pick the right fruit to eat. The ripe fruit always has an even coloured skin with very few blotches on it. To judge it better feel it with your hands. If it’s too hard then it’s a bit raw. But do not pick the one that is too soft either. Another way of judging the ripe one is by checking the stem. An over ripe dragon fruit will ahve a brittle brown stem and the edges of teh skin of the fruit too would have started browning. Avoid them.
- Place the dragon fruit on a hard surface. With a sharp knife, cut it through the middle. Separate the fruit into two equal sides. Inside, you would see either white or red flesh with a lot of tiny black edible seeds like that of the kiwi fruit
- Take a teaspoon and scoop the flesh out of the fruit.
- Place the flesh on the cutting board and cube it.
- These cubes of fruits can be eaten directly, added to the fruit salad or made into juice or excellent smoothies.
Having said that, it would be unfair to end without giving some tips on how to eat dragon fruit in the form of juices, smoothies, and salads. A banana dragon fruit juice is an excellent one to start with. It’s easy to make since all that you require are a banana, half of a dragon fruit and some yoghurt. You can blend these three together for some excellent juice. As for salad, try Thai salad to start with by cubing an assortment of fruits and smearing it with a salad dressing made by mixing coconut milk, lime juice and sugar.
Isn’t it great that dragon fruit can be eaten in so many forms? Well, now that you know how to eat dragon fruit, what are you waiting for?
Image Credit: desigrub