How To Eat Basket Cheese
The name Basket Cheese itself suggests that it has some relationship with basket. Yes, you are very correct; it is a type of soft cheese, white in color, formed in a basket. It is mild in taste, bit salty and very soft in texture. The cheese is easily recognized by its appearance as it is always available in basket and has traditional circular shape. This soft cheese is considered as one of the best Middle Eastern cheese which is highly relished in the U.S. It is made of cow’s milk and is available in two forms viz. fresh and dry. Fresh basket cheese is without salt while dry basket cheese is mild salty in taste.
Basket cheeses are so popular among people that they are produced by number of commercial cheesemakers. Visit any well known grocery store, you will find a well stocked basket cheese counters. Many shopkeepers label it as a ‘fresh table cheese’ but it will be available in its trademark basket packaging which will help you in identifying it. There are various ways to eat basket cheese. Some of the popular methods are as follows.
- Basket cheese is mild in flavor, so it forms a great combination with bread. It is eaten along with jam or honey and thus forms a great breakfast.
- Many people enjoy basket cheese as an afternoon snack. Relish its taste with olive oil, pepper and salt; it’s yummy.
- One of the main characteristics of basket cheese is that it does not melt away, if fried. So many Indian cuisines are prepared by using it in place of traditional paneer.
- Basket cheese is a popular food in Italy, especially during Easter. It is used in binding other ingredients and preparing dishes. It is also added to antipasto and eaten with great enthusiasm in Italy. Try this; even you will enjoy this method of eating basket cheese.
- Many cheesecake recipes are made by using basket cheese. So, it forms another way of relishing the taste of this soft cheese.
- One of the best ways to eat basket cheese is by serving it along with fruits. For this you have to make the cheese bit sweeter by adding citrus juice and honey before you serve it with fruits.
- Garnishing the cheese with herbs of your choice along with chopped garlic and onion and your favorite flavor is another way of eating basket cheese.
These were some of the interesting ways of eating basket cheese. Try them; you will enjoy eating them.
Image Credit: karouncheese.com