Top 10 Ways to Control Your Appetite Naturally
14 Oct 2010
Here are the top 10 time tested tricks to control your appetite naturally.
- Avoid: "You crave what you eat, so if you switch what you're eating, you can weaken your old cravings and strengthen new ones," says Marcia Pelchat, PhD, of the Monell Center. This can only happen if you wish to avoid some unhealthy goodies and favor the healthy ones. At first it may seem difficult to avoid the favorites, when you start avoiding it slowly by slowly there are chances some day you will completely stop yearning for the unhealthy foods.
- Brush: Brush and gargle your teeth most often as it will help in curbing the food cravings. Because "When you have a fresh, clean mouth, you don't want to mess it up," says Molly Gee, RD, of Baylor College of Medicine in Houston. And most of the trigger foods taste bad immediately after a brush. This feeling will stop you from eating.
- Destroy: If you have bought some trigger cookies out of cravings and feel guilty later on, then don’t just throw them, instead ruin them or even better, distribute them among friends. If these foods are not discarded, then they may go straight to down your stomach.
- Distract: Cravings don’t last for long time. According to researchers it just lasts for 10 minutes. The real trick lies in managing yourself in those 10 minutes. It’s best to distract yourself to get over those 10 minutes. You can perhaps talk to your friends, go for a brisk walk, listen to music, indulge in some interesting work, meditate or exercise.
- Drink: It has been clinically proved that drinking two glasses of water and eating an ounce of nuts will help you in curbing the cravings. They curb the food cravings by dampening your appetite.
- Indulge: Instead of avoiding the trigger foods altogether, it’s better to indulge in them in moderate amounts. The trick is to buy trigger foods in moderate amounts instead of buying them in bulk. If you feel the indulgence has gone out of way then resort to simple exercising patterns like brisk walking, etc.
- Jolt: Try sipping on skim latte if you yearn to devour chocolates or other desserts. Although the caffeine present in the skim latte won’t curb your cravings but it will help in quenching your appetite.
- Mint: Grab some mints if you wish to avoid food cravings.
- Reorganize: Cravings rush in when you are tired. Don’t give up easily if time permits. Try to reorganize yourself- close your eyes and take a quick nap.
- Stress: Stress triggers off the craving. So, you should learn to deal with it effectively and in this way, you can potentially save yourself from chomping on hundreds of uneven calories on any given day. You can distress yourself with some commonly known stress busting techniques like Yoga, or you can learn the Relaxation/Affirmation Techniques.
Image courtesy: stylisheve.com
Top 10 Ways To Control Your Appetite Naturally