|For takoyaki batter|
|Ice cold water||340 Milliliter (1.5 Cup)|
|Granulated dashi||1⁄2 Teaspoon (1/4 teaspoon Kombu Dashi and 1/4 teaspoon Bonito Dashi)|
|Soy sauce||1 Teaspoon|
|Wheat flour||3 1⁄2 Ounce (100 gram)|
|Boiled octopus||5 1⁄3 Ounce (150 gram)|
|Tenkasu||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (crunchy bits of deep fried flour dough)|
|Beni shoga||1⁄5 Ounce (6 gram, Pickled Ginger)|
|Sakuraebi||2 Gram (1/10 ounce, Dried Pink Baby Shrimps)|
|Okonomiyaki sauce||2 Tablespoon (adjust quantity as needed)|
|Anori||1 Tablespoon (Green Laver)|
|Hanakatsuo||1 Tablespoon (Dried Bonito Flakes)|
|Long green onions||2|
|For vinegar sauce|
|Water||150 Milliliter (0.6 Cup)|
|Soy sauce||1 Tablespoon|
|Long green onion||1|
|For alternative fillings|
|Boiled firefly squid||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chikuwa||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sweet corn and cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sausage||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Dice up the boiled octopus into ½ inch pieces.
2. Chop the beni shoga into fine pieces.
3. Cut the long green onion into 4 pieces and chop it up finely.
4. Toast the dry baby shrimps until aromatic. Crumble them when they are cool enough.
5. To make vinegar sauce, bring water to boil and turn off the stove.
6. Add granulated kombu dahsi and bonito dashi. Add soy sauce and vinegar.
7. Dissolve all the condiments well in water.
8. To make takoyaki batter, break egg in a bowl and break it well.
9. Add ice water but not the ice, add bonito dahsi, kombu dashi, soy sauce and salt.
10. Stir all the condiments well in the mixture.
11. Add flour to the egg mixture, sift 1/3 of the soft wheat flour into the bowl.
12. Immerse the egg mixture in the flour and mix lightly.
13. Repeat the process 2 more times and whisk enough to get rid of pockets of flour.
14. Turn on the stove and grease a takoyaki pan.
15. Drop a bit of batter to check if the pan is hot enough.
16. Fill the holes with batter until they are 80% full.
17. Add diced octopus in each hole, sprinkle tenkasu, add beni shoga and dried pink baby shrimp powder.
18. Drop the takoyaki batter to the holes just enough to overflow.
19. Add chopped green onion on top of the batter.
20. When the batter around the hole becomes solid, separate each takoyaki with bamboo skewers.
21. Rotate each takoyaki by 90 degree and fill the spill inside the hole.
22. Rotate the takoyaki by 90 degree again and adjust the shape into the hole.
23. Keep rotating the takoyaki balls to cook evenly.
24. Cook until all the takoyaki rotate with a light touch and until all the takoyaki have a golden brown color.
25. Serve 8 takoyaki balls on a plate and add okonomiyaki sauce on it.
26. Add dried bonito flakes and chopped green onions on it.
27. Finally add mayonnaise on it.
28. Mix vinegar sauce to green chopped onion and serve with plain takoyaki.