Healthier Chicken Dumplings
|Chicken breasts||2 Large|
|Onion||1 Medium, peeled and diced|
|Potato||1 Medium, peeled and diced|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), minced|
|Carrots||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), cut into large pieces|
|Celery||1 Cup (16 tbs), sliced|
|Water||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Chicken bouillon cubes||4|
|Low fat evaporated milk||12 Ounce|
|Peas||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Salt||1 1⁄8 Teaspoon (to taste - 1 tsp. for the chicken remaining for the dumpling)|
|Black pepper||1 Teaspoon (to taste)|
|Gluten free bisquick||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs) (For the Dumplings)|
|Milk||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs) (For the Dumplings)|
|Eggs||2 (For the Dumplings)|
|Melted butter||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (For the Dumplings)|
|Parsley||2 Tablespoon (1 tbsp For the Dumplings remaining for garnishing)|
1. For the Dumpling - In a medium bowl mix the milk, eggs, butter, parsley and salt together until well combined.
2. Add in the Bisquick and stir until just combined.
3. In a slow cooker place the potatoes, onions and garlic.
4. Add in the chicken breasts and season with salt and pepper.
5. Followed by carrots and celery, pour in the water, bouillon cubes, evaporated milk and bay leaf to the pot.
6. Cover and cook on high for 420 minutes.
7. Remove the chicken and bay leaf from the pot.
8. Add in the peas, cover and allow the pot to return to a boil.
9. Meanwhile shred the chicken before returning it to the pot.
10. Drop the dumplings by rounded spoonfuls into the pot.
11. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes.
12. Sprinkle parsley over the chicken dumpling and serve.
If you aren’t following a gluten free diet you could use regular Bisquick to make the dumplings. When using the regular variety, skip my ingredients list and follow the instructions on the box then add the parsley or the herb of your choice. I’ve also tried the dumplings flavored with lemon zest, dried thyme, and grated Parmagiano Reggiano each producing a uniquely spectacular results. To make things even simpler you could use quartered canned refrigerated biscuits as the dumplings.