|Piecrust mix||16 1⁄2 Ounce (1 1/2 package, 11 ounce size)|
|Ripe pears||2 1⁄2 Pound (6 whole, not soft)|
|Sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Ground cinnamon||1 Teaspoon|
|Lemon juice||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|For custard sauce|
|Milk||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Prepare the pastry as per the directions on package.
3. On lightly floured surface, divide pastry into seven parts.
4. Roll six pieces of pastry into 7-inch squares.
5. Pare pears, leaving stems on.
6. In a bowl, combine 1/4 cup sugar and the cinnamon.
7. Sprinkle each pear with lemon juice, then with cinnamon-sugar mix.
8. Slip center of a square of pastry over stem of each pear.
9. Mold pastry around pears, covering completely.
10. Lightly grease a shallow 15 1/2-by-10 1/2-inch baking pan, and place pears in it.
11. Roll remaining piece of pastry into a 9-inch circle.
12. Using a 3-inch cookie cutter make 3 rounds. With a one-inch cutter, cut out centers. Reroll the trimmings for additional 3 rounds. Slip a circle of pastry just over each stem.
13. In a bowl, blend 1 egg yolk with 1 teaspoon water.
14. Brush egg-yolk mixture over pastry. In preheated oven bake 45 to 50 minutes.
15. For custard sauce, on top of double boiler, over direct heat, heat milk until bubbles form around the edge.
16. In small bowl, combine egg yolks, sugar and salt. Using a spoon beat it slightly.
17. Add to milk to the mixture, stirring constantly.
18. Return mixture to double-boiler top.
19. Cook it over simmering water. Stir constantly.
20. Add vanilla. Stir again.
21. Cover the bowl. Refrigerate till chilled.
22. Serve pear dumplings with chilled custard sauce.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3219 Calories from Fat 323
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 36 g55.4%
Saturated Fat 15.7 g78.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 970.6 mg323.5%
Sodium 2430 mg101.2%
Total Carbohydrates 675 g225%
Dietary Fiber 55.4 g221.5%
Sugars 271.4 g
Protein 83 g166.3%
Vitamin A 36.6% Vitamin C 126.5%
Calcium 76.6% Iron 285.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet