Stewed Chicken with Parsley Dumplings
|Chicken pieces||4 Pound, cut into 8 serving pieces|
|Flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Vegetable oil||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Onion||1 Large, peeled and sliced crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick rounds|
|Chicken stock||6 Cup (96 tbs) (fresh or canned)|
|Cider vinegar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Celery stalks||1 , cut crosswise into 4 pieces (including the green leaves)|
|Bay leaf||1 Medium|
|Dried sage leaves||1⁄4 Teaspoon, crumbled|
|Black pepper||To Taste|
1. Pat the chicken dry with paper towels.
2. In a paper bag, shake the chicken vigorously with the flour to coat the pieces evenly.
3. In a heavy 4- to 5-quart casserole or Dutch oven at least 10 inches in diameter, heat the oil over moderate heat such that a light haze forms above it and brown 3 or 4 pieces of chicken at a time, starting them skin side down, and turning them frequently with tongs.
4. Regulate the heat so that the pieces color richly and evenly without burning.
5. As they brown, transfer the pieces to a plate.
6. Into the fat remaining in the casserole drop the onion slices and cook stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes.
7. Once the onions are soft and translucent, return the chicken and the liquid that has accumulated around it to the casserole.
8. Bring to a boil adding the chicken stock, vinegar, celery, bay leaf, sage, 2 teaspoons of salt and a few grindings of pepper over high heat.
9. Reduce the heat to low, cover partially and simmer for 45 minutes until the bird is almost tender and its thigh shows only the slightest resistance when pierced deeply with the point of a small sharp knife.
10. Pick out and discard the celery and bay leaf.
11. Serve the chicken on a serving dish spooning around the cooked juices and seasonings.
Calories 599 Calories from Fat 219
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 25 g37.8%
Saturated Fat 4.8 g24%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 218.8 mg72.9%
Sodium 1230.1 mg51.3%
Total Carbohydrates 18 g6%
Dietary Fiber 1.3 g5.2%
Sugars 6.2 g
Protein 72 g143.9%
Vitamin A 4.4% Vitamin C 19.4%
Calcium 6.6% Iron 20.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet