Homespun Apple Dumplings
|All-purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Enriched corn meal||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Margarine||22 Teaspoon (7 Tablespoons Plus 1 Teaspoon)|
|Vegetable shortening||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Cold water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Firmly packed brown sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Baking apples||6 Medium, peeled and cooled|
|Coarsely chopped nuts||3 Tablespoon|
|Egg||1 , beaten|
1) Take a large mixing bowl and combine flour, corn meal, sugar and salt in it. Cut in 1/3 cup margarine and shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
2) Add water to the mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time, stirring lightly until mixture forms a ball.
3) Divide the ball into 3 equal portions. Combine 2 portions to form 1 ball.
4) On a lightly floured surface, roll out the larger ball to form a 14-inch square. Cut into 4 squares. Roll the remaining dough into a 14x7-inch rectangle and cut into 2 squares.
5) Heat oven to 400°F.
6) Combine brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Roll apples in this sugar mixture to coat evenly. Keep aside the remaining sugar mixture.
7) Place 1 apple on center of each pastry square. Add nuts to remaining sugar mixture; spoon about 1 tablespoon into center of each apple. Dot each apple with 1 teaspoon margarine. Moisten corners of pastry. Bring corners of pastry to top of apple; pinch to seal, leaving corner folds open. If desired, roll out any remaining scraps of dough and form leaves for decoration with it.
8) Place the dumplings in a 13x9-inch baking pan and brush with beaten egg. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until crust turns golden and apples are tender.
9) Serve warm with sweetened whipped cream or ice cream, if desired.