Chicken & Dumplings
|Stewing chicken/2 frying chickens||6 Pound, cut up (1 Number)|
|Celery ribs with leaves||4|
|Carrot||1 , pared and sliced|
|Small onion||1 , cut up|
|Sifted flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Baking powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Melted crisco||2 Tablespoon|
|Chopped parsley||2 Tablespoon|
1. To a large Dutch oven, put in the entire chicken. Cover it with water and add the parsley sprigs, celery, carrot, onion, the 2 teaspoons salt, the pepper, and bay leaf. Cover and bring this mixture to the boil. Simmer this for 2-21/2 hours till the chicken is soft and the meat is tender.
2. Shred the meat from the bones and strain the stock. Set the stock on low to medium heat and let it simmer.
3. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and the salt and mix well.
4. Add the milk to the Crisco and beat well.
5. Mix the chopped parsley into the dry ingredients and mix well to moisten
6. Use a tablespoon to spoon out heaped spoons of the mixture on to the boiling chicken broth
7. Cover the pan tightly and return to the boil. Simmer for 12-15 minutes on lowered heat.
8. Make the gravy by straining the chicken broth and measuring 4 cups into a saucepan. Heat this to boiling.
9. In a large cup, combine the 1/2 cup flour and 1 cup cold water and add to the chicken broth and mix well. Cook this well till thickened and season with salt and pepper.
10. Serve hot with the thickened gravy
Calories 745 Calories from Fat 380
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 42 g64.8%
Saturated Fat 12 g60%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 229.3 mg76.4%
Sodium 957.3 mg39.9%
Total Carbohydrates 16 g5.2%
Dietary Fiber 1.1 g4.5%
Sugars 1.8 g
Protein 71 g142.9%
Vitamin A 41.3% Vitamin C 11.1%
Calcium 16.7% Iron 21.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet