Winter Pork with Dumplings
|Lean boneless pork||1 1⁄2 Pound, cubed|
|Onions||2 , sliced|
|Carrots||8 Ounce, sliced (225 gram)|
|Plain flour||2 Tablespoon|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Dripping/Lard||1 Ounce (25 gram)|
|Chicken stock||1 Pint (600 milliliter)|
|Orange||1 (use pared rind and juice)|
|Self raising flour||6 Ounce (175 gram)|
|Chopped fresh herbs||1 Tablespoon (thyme, parsley and sage)|
|Beef suet||3 Ounce, shredded (75 gram)|
|Cold water||5 Tablespoon|
1) In a bowl, sprinkle the flour over the pork with plenty of seasoning.
2) In the wok, saute the meat in the dripping or lard, turning frequently, until well browned.
3) Stir in the onions, carrots and sage, saute for a few minutes, until the onion is tender.
4) Stir in any left over flour and gradually pour in the chicken stock.
5) Stir in the orange juice and place the rind on top.
6) Bring to a boil, cover and simmer over a low heat for 40 minutes.
7) In a bowl, sift the flour with a pinch of salt, then add the herbs.
8) Stir in the suet and add water a few minutes before the pork is done.
9) Shape the suet pastry into 8 small round dumplings and place these lightly over the pork.
10) Cover and simmer for another 10 minutes, until the dumplings are cooked.
11) Serve the Winter Pork with Dumplings straight from the wok.
Calories 447 Calories from Fat 239
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 27 g40.8%
Saturated Fat 11.6 g57.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 63.6 mg21.2%
Sodium 482.3 mg20.1%
Total Carbohydrates 29 g9.7%
Dietary Fiber 2.6 g10.3%
Sugars 5.6 g
Protein 22 g43.5%
Vitamin A 97.4% Vitamin C 23.4%
Calcium 10.6% Iron 11.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet