Homemade Chicken and Dumplings
|Chicken breast boneless skinless||1 1⁄2 Pound|
|For the stock|
|Water||8 Cup (128 tbs)|
|Poultry seasoning||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), chopped|
|Black pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Celery flakes||1 Teaspoon|
|Onion powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Bouillon||5 Teaspoon (granules)|
|Frozen peas||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Optional)|
|Frozen carrots||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Optional)|
|All purpose flour||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Poultry seasoning||3 Dash|
|Crisco||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (butter flavored)|
|Eggs||1 Medium, beaten|
|Chicken stock||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. In a large pot put the chicken and all the ingredients of the stock except the bouillon granules.
2. On medium high heat bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to medium.
3. Simmer for around 20 minutes or till the chicken is cooked.
4. Remove the chicken and transfer into a bowl to cool completely.
5. Remove one cup of the broth and place in the refrigerator to cool.
6. To the remaining stock add the bouillon granules.
7. Bring it to a boil and then reduce heat to a low simmer. Taste the stock and adjust the seasonings if needed.
8. Add in the frozen peas and carrots. Reduce the heat and simmer.
9. DUMPLING: In a bowl add the flour, salt, baking powder and poultry seasoning. Whisk until combined.
10. Put the butter-flavored Crisco and use clean hands or a pastry cutter to blend till it becomes crumbly.
11. Add in the egg and the 1 cup of reserved, chilled chicken stock (step 5).
12. Use hands to mix all the ingredients well to form a sticky dough.
13. Sprinkle a work surface with flour. Place the dough and knead lightly (Add more flour if the dough is too sticky).
14. Roll the dough to 1/8th inch thickness. Cut 1 inch squares with a knife or pizza cutter (make small squares).
15. Bring the stock back to a boil and drop in the dumplings. Work as quickly as possible.
16. Stir continuously to prevent sticking and cook for around 15 minutes on medium heat.
17. Shred the cooled chicken and add it to the stock. Cook till heated through. Turn off the heat.
18. In a serving bowl, pour the chicken and dumpling and serve with bread or chips or as it is.
For a more flavorful dumpling retain the stock to make dumpling after adding the bouillon and seasoning to the broth.