Potato And Cheese Dumplings
|Flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Eggs||2 , beaten, divided|
|Cold water||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Potatoes||4 Large, peeled and boiled until tender|
|Onion||1 Large, chopped|
|Grated cheddar cheese||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Sour cream/Plain yogurt||2 Tablespoon|
|Sour cream/Applesauce||2 Tablespoon (for garnish)|
1. Mix flour with 1 teaspoon of salt. Add 1 beaten egg and cold water. Knead lightly, then cover with a lid and set aside.
2. For potato filling, mash the hot boiled potatoes. Saute the onion in the oil until soft, about 5 minutes, and add to mashed potatoes. Season well with salt and pepper and allow to cool. For cheese filling, combine 2 cups of grated cheddar cheese with 1 beaten egg, a little salt, and 2 tablespoons of sour cream or plain yogurt.
3. To form pyrohi, roll dough out thin and cut circles with a cutter or inverted water glass. Holding the cut round in your palm, place 1 teaspoon of filling in center, fold in half, and press the edges to seal. When you press, wetting your fingertips in cold water will help the dough to seal. Lay pyrohi on dry kitchen towel and cover.
4. When all the pyrohi are made, drop a few at a time into a pot of boiling water and boil for 4 minutes. Lift out with a slotted spoon, drain, and place in a bowl.
5. Add a little melted butter and serve with sour cream, applesauce, and/or small pieces of fried bacon. If you wish, pyrohi may also be fried gently until golden brown before serving.