Denim Dumpling Dinner
|Broiler fryer chicken||6 Pound, rinsed (2 3 Pound Packages)|
|Boiling water||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|Onion||1 Medium, sliced|
|Cut celery||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs) (1/2 Inch Pieces)|
|Cut carrot||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs) (1/2 Inch Pieces)|
|Cold water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Frozen shredded hash brown potatoes||24 Ounce, thawed (2 12 Ounce Packages)|
|Shredded sharp cheddar cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs) (About 4 Ounces)|
|All purpose flour||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Eggs||2 , slightly beaten|
1. Put chicken, boiling water, and salt into a sauce-pot. Bring to boiling, reduce heat, and simmer covered 2 to 3 hours, or until tender.
2. Remove chicken from bones, leaving in large pieces. Set aside.
3. Skim fat from broth; measure broth and add enough water to make 4 cups. Return to saucepot and add vegetables; cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
4. Add cold water to flour, stirring until well blended. Gradually add water and flour mixture to hot vegetables in saucepot, stirring constantly. Bring to boiling; simmer 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Return chicken to mixture; heat thoroughly.
5. Meanwhile, for dumplings, turn hash brown potatoes into a bowl and separate with a fork; add cheese, flour, salt, pepper, and eggs and mix with fork.
6. Put half of hot chicken mixture into each of two 13 1/2 x 8 3/4 x 1 3/4 inch baking dishes or into one 15 1/2 x 9 1/2 x 2 1/4 inch roaster. Drop dumpling mixture by tablespoonfuls onto hot chicken mixture. Cover dishes with aluminum foil.
7. Bake at 350Â°F 30 minutes, or until dumplings are done.
8. Sprinkle with snipped parsley before serving.