Roast Wild Duck With Baked Oranges
|Wild ducks||3 Pound (2 whole, 1 1/2 pound each)|
|Lemon juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Oil||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Clear stock||1⁄4 Pint|
1. Cut onions into quarters and keep aside.
2. Into each duck put an onion quarter and some celery with a little lemon juice and seasoning.
3. Rub breasts over with 1 oz butter and sprinkle with salt.
4. In roasting pan heat oil and 1 oz butter and put in birds, basting well.
5. Roast in oven for 25-30 minutes, depending on size of birds, basting every 15 minutes.
6. Wipe small oranges or mandarins, rub skins with butter and put them around ducks for the last 15 minutes of cooking time such that oranges swell and burst.
7. Remove ducks, put on serving dish and keep warm.
8. In each orange, make a hole fill with a little sugar and arrange around the ducks.
9. Skim fat from pan drippings, add stock and boil for several minutes to reduce quantity and season to taste.
10. Serve with a salad and crisp potatoes.