|Duck||1 (Over 1 Year Old)|
|Orange||1 , zest /rind pared thinly|
|Lemon||1 , zest /rind pared thinly|
|White turnip||1 Small|
|Flour||1 1⁄2 Ounce|
|Tomato puree||1 Teaspoon|
|Brown stock||3⁄4 Pint|
|Cider/Red wine||1⁄2 Pint|
|Parsley stalks||4 (Several Stalks)|
|Sage leaf||1 Small|
1. With fork prick breast of bird all over and rub skin with salt and pepper.
2. Put an onion inside bird with a few pieces of orange and lemon zest (thin outer skin of fruit).
3. In a pan heat oil, brown duck all over for 6-8 minutes and remove and keep warm.
4. To pan add 2 sliced onions, carrots, celery and turnip and brown slowly but thoroughly.
5. Let it cool slightly, add flour and cook for 2-3 minutes.
6. Boil for one minute adding tomato puree, stock and cider or wine.
7. Add parsley, thyme, sage leaf, bay leaf, and remaining orange and lemon zest.
8. In casserole place duck, cover with sauce and braise slowly in oven for 2 hours, until duck is tender.
9. Remove duck, carve and place pieces on a hot dish.
10. Strain sauce and boil to reduce slightly, skimming off fat which rises to top.
11. Season to taste, spoon a little sauce over duck and serve the rest separately.