Casserole of Duck
|Onions||1 , peeled|
|Fat/Butter||1 1⁄2 Ounce|
|Giblet stock||3⁄4 Pint|
|Dried sage||1 Pinch|
|Olives||3 (optional, a few)|
1) Preheat the oven to 325F.
2) Slice the chestnuts.
3) Cook the chestnuts in boiling water for about 10 minutes.
4) While they are still warm, drain and peel their skins off.
5) In a casserole, melt the fat or butter. Add in the onions and saute for a while.
6) Stir in the flour and saute till the flour loses its raw flavour.
7) Slowly, pour in the giblet stock. Let the mixture come to a boil and thicken slightly at the same time. Season the stock with salt, pepper and sage. Mix well.
8) Into the casserole, place the duck with its breast side up.
9) Add in the chestnuts.
10) Place a lid over the casserole or cover with foil.
11) Place the casserole in the centre rack of the oven. Cook for about 2 1/2 hours.
12) When 15 minutes of cooking are left, increase the oven temperature to 425F while taking the lid off. This makes the duck skin brown.
13) Serve the Casserole of Duck garnished with olives.