|Pig liver||1 Pound (450g)|
|Onions||2 Large, peeled|
|Fresh white breadcrumbs||6 Ounce (175 g)|
|Suet||2 Ounce, shredded (50g)|
|Dried sage||1⁄2 Teaspoon (2.5 ml)|
|Worcestershire sauce||1 Tablespoon|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Lard||1 Ounce (25g)|
|Onion||1 , peeled and sliced|
|Carrots||2 , peeled and grated|
|Flour||1 Ounce (25g)|
|Beef stock||3⁄4 Pint (450ml)|
|Worcestershire sauce||2 Teaspoon|
1) Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F or Gas Mark 4.
2) Mince or grind the liver and onions together.
3) In a bowl, combine the liver and onions with rest of the ingredients, mix thoroughly.
4) Divide and shape the mixture into 8 equal-size balls.
5) In a greased casserole dish, place the balls and bake, uncovered, in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
6) Remove from the oven, then turn over each savoury duck.
7) In a pan, saute the onion and carrots in lard over a low heat for 5 minutes.
8) Stir in the flour, stir continuously and cook for 2 minutes.
9) Remove from heat and stir in the beef stock and Worcestershire sauce.
10) Return to heat, stir continuously, bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes
11) Strain the gravy and season with salt and pepper to taste.
12) Pour the gravy over the savoury ducks, return to the oven and cook for another 20 minutes.
13) If you wish to freeze the recipe do it at this stage. Cover the casserole, then wrap in a freezer bag or foil , seal, label and freeze.
14) Serve the Savoury Ducks straight from the casserole.
15) If using the frozen dish, unwrap, thaw at room temperature for 4 hours. Then reheat in the preheated oven at 180°C/350°F or Gas Mark 4 for 30 to 40 minutes, or until thoroughly heated. Serve hot or as indicated in step 14.
Calories 292 Calories from Fat 119
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 13 g20.3%
Saturated Fat 6 g30%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 178.8 mg59.6%
Sodium 377.3 mg15.7%
Total Carbohydrates 27 g8.9%
Dietary Fiber 2.8 g11.2%
Sugars 6.2 g
Protein 16 g32.7%
Vitamin A 296.9% Vitamin C 38%
Calcium 7.7% Iron 82.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet