Honey Slow Roasted Duck With Orange Thyme And Baby Gems
|Ducks||4 Kilogram (2 Whole, 2 Kilogram Each)|
|Sea salt||To Taste|
|Honey||250 Gram (1 Jar)|
|Orange thyme leaves||1 Bunch (100 gm)|
|Rapeseed oil||250 Milliliter|
|New potatoes||400 Gram, peeled and dried|
|For baby gems|
|Baby gem lettuces||8 (Not Too Big)|
1. Preheat oven to 140C/120C fan/gas 1.
2. Using a sharp small knife, score duck breast skin, keeping the meat intact.
3. Arrange on a wire rack kept above a sink and pour 2 kettles boiling water. Use kitchen paper towels to dry them.
4. With a hairdryer kept in cold setting, dry the duck skin.
5. Arrange ducks on a rack place above roasting tin, smear salt on the skin, massage with honey in generous amounts for a thorough coating. Top with 1/3rd orange thyme leaves.
6. Add boiled water to roasting tin, place in the oven and roast for about 90 minutes. Take out, strain the fat, retaining honey juice and keep aside the fat.
7. Cut potatoes into 2 cm dices.
8. Take a shallow gratin dish with lid, add 150 ml reserved fat and diced potatoes. Toss to coat well.
9. Add salt to taste and tuck in bay leaf.
10. Mix in a small quantity of orange thyme. Cover with lid and continue roasting, basting once in 20 min, for 2 ½ hours.
11. While 1/2 an hour is left for duck to be ready, place potatoes in oven and cook for 45 to 60 min or till soft.
12. Take off lid and continue to cook for 15 more minutes or till top turns brown. Keep aside, retaining the warmth, till served.
13. Allow the duck to remain in the tin for 20 min.
14. Remove the meat, keep aside honey juices.
15. Arrange meat on wire rack above baking tray, with skin side facing up.
16. Chop duck bones and add to a hot pan with duck fat. Allow to turn brown in duck fat.
17. Mix in thyme sprig and shallots and season with ground black pepper and salt.
18. Add water to the pan enough to fill it half, allow to boil vigorously, mix in few tablespoons of honey juices, pass via fine sieve and halve the mixture.
19. Add Baby Gems to reduced duck juices and cook for 4 to 5 min to just wilt and turn tender.
20. Crush hot potatoes slightly and keep aside.
21. Take a small frying pan, add rapseed oil and heat to smoking hot. Pour on duck skin to turn crispy.
22. Take individual serving plates, place baby gems, top with sliced duck meat and serve along with crushed potatoes moistened with duck sauce and garnished with orange thyme.