Braised Duck with Onions
|Whole duck||5 Pound|
|Duck fat/Vegetable oil||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Ground black pepper||To Taste|
1) From the cavity of duck remove excess fat and trim the neck skin.
2) Cut off wing tips and set aside with neck and gizzard for use later.
3) Using a chopper, quarter duck. Lay the duck skin-side up and on cutting surface, cut through the breastbone. Invert duck, rollback breast halves and cut backbone in two. Keep each half skin-side up and cut pieces in two just below ribs. Reverse quarters skin with side down and using a sharp knife cut surplus skin and fat from each piece. Turn over and prick skin with a fork or skewer.
4) In a big heavy skillet, heat 2 tablespoons duck fat or oil over high heat.
5) Fry the duck turning occasionally till golden and crisp for about 15 minutes.
6) Strip onions and cut across into 1/4-inch-thick slices to measure about 4 cups.
7) Wash watercress and dry with paper towels. Hold 4 sprigs for garnish and refrigerate rest for use later.
8) In flameproof casserole or Dutch oven heat remaining duck fat or oil over medium heat.
9) Fry the onions stirring occasionally till soft for about 10 minutes.
10) Place the duck to casserole and sprinkle salt and pepper.
11) Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 20 to 25 minutes.
12) Place the duck in 4 dinner plates. Decorate with onions and watercress.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 6560 Calories from Fat 4526
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 505 g777.1%
Saturated Fat 167.7 g838.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1974.1 mg658%
Sodium 1694.5 mg70.6%
Total Carbohydrates 85 g28.5%
Dietary Fiber 15.7 g62.8%
Sugars 38.5 g
Protein 405 g810.4%
Vitamin A 40.3% Vitamin C 308.8%
Calcium 32.7% Iron 536.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet