Roast Duck Stuffed With Pears And Garlic
|Duck||5 Pound, rinsed and patted dry (1 Whole)|
|Unsalted butter||1 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||20 Clove (100 gm), peeled, the large ones cut in half|
|Pears||1 Pound, cut into 3/4 inch cubes and tossed with 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice (Seckel / Bosc Variety, Slightly Under Ripe)|
|Fresh lime juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Fresh rosemary/1 teaspoon dried rosemary||1 Tablespoon|
|Watercress||1 Bunch (100 gm) (For Garnish)|
1. Using a meat scissors or a paring knife, trim excess skin and fat from around the neck and from the cavity of the duck.
2. Preheat the oven to 350° F.
3. In a large stock pot with a tight fitting lid, pour water, about 1 inch from the bottom of the pot. Place a metal rack or steamer in the pot.
4. Bring the water in the port to a boil, over the stove.
5. Using a wooden pick or a skewer, lightly prick the duck around the legs, to help render the fat while steaming. Do not pierce too deep.
6. Place the duck, breast side down, on the rack in the pot.
7. Cover the pot tightly and steam the duck for 30 minutes.
8. While the duck is steaming prepare the stuffing
9. Use a heavy-bottomed skillet,
10. Melt the butter over medium heat. .
11. Add the garlic and sauté in the butter for 10-12 minutes till soft and evenly browned.
12. To the garlic, add the pears, rosemary and sugar, and sauté for another 6-8 minutes, until the pears are soft.
13. Take off from the heat and allow to the stuffing to cool.
14. Carefully transfer the steamed duck from the pot to a rack over a roasting pan. Place it breast side down.
15. Season the bird well with salt, from inside and out
16. Roast in the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
17. Remove the duck from the oven and reduce the oven temperature to 325° F.
18. Turn the duck, breast side up and prick the breast and legs with a screwed or wooden prick.
19. Fill the cavity with the pear-garlic stuffing.
20. Return the bird to the oven and roast it for 90 minutes or until the skin turns crispy and a nice golden brown.
21. Remove the duck from the oven and allow to rest for 5-10 minutes
22. Cut the duck into quarters and arrange on the service platter, making sure that each piece has a good amount of stuffing. Garnish with the watercress.