Roast Duck With Orange
|Onion||1 Small, sliced|
|Carrot||1 Large, diced|
|Stalk celery||1 , diced|
|Boiling water||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Orange juice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||1 Teaspoon|
|Wine jelly||2 Tablespoon|
|Cold water||2 Tablespoon|
|Oranges||3 , peeled|
|Lemon||1 , peeled|
|Navel orange||1 , sliced|
1. Start oven, set at 350° F., or Moderate.
2. Singe, dress and clean duck for roasting . Rub inside with salt and outside with salt and pepper.
3. Place all the vegetables in a roasting pan and the duck on top; pour the hot water into the roaster. Roast, allowing 20 to 25 minutes per pound. Baste as it roasts with the juices in the pan. When tender, remove the duck to a hot platter and keep it hot.
4. Strain the liquid in the pan, skim off the fat.
5. Add the fruit juices and jelly, also the flour which is mixed into a smooth paste with the cold water. Cook, stirring constantly until smooth and thickened.
6. Cut the orange and lemon peels into thin slivers and cook 5 minutes in enough boiling water to cover; strain. Add the peels to the sauce and cook 5 minutes.
7. Arrange thin slices of the navel orange around the duck on the platter and serve with the sauce.