Classic Duck Cacciatore
|Whole duck||3 Pound|
|Cracked black pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Onion||1 Large, chopped|
|Garlic clove||6 Medium, minced|
|Button mushrooms||1 Pound, quartered|
|Red bell pepper||1 Medium, chopped|
|Green bell pepper||1 Medium, chopped|
|Dried oregano||1 Tablespoon|
|Dried basil leaves||1 Teaspoon|
|Dry red wine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Canned diced tomato||1 Can (10 oz) (28 oz)|
|Oregano||1 Sprig (fresh garnish)|
1) Sprinkle salt and pepper all over the duck pieces.
2) In a large shallow saucepan over medium high heat, brown the duck on both sides. Transfer to a plate.
3) Remove all the rendered fat in the saucepan and reserve.
4) In same saucepan, add 1 tablespoon duck fat and saute the onion, garlic, mushrooms, peppers, oregano and basil for about 15 minutes or until vegetables are beginning to brown.
5) Pour in wine and stir vegetables to deglaze pan.
6) Add the diced tomatoes and bring to boil.
7) Return duck into the saucepan, simmer covered over a low heat for about 1 hour and 15 minutes or until duck is falling off the bone.
8) Uncover and cook for 15 minutes to thicken the sauce slightly.
9) Spoon the duck over some cooked pasta, garnish with a fresh oregano sprig and serve.
Calories 599 Calories from Fat 320
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 36 g54.7%
Saturated Fat 11.6 g58.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 181.4 mg60.5%
Sodium 392 mg16.3%
Total Carbohydrates 24 g8%
Dietary Fiber 6.6 g26.4%
Sugars 5.2 g
Protein 46 g91.4%
Vitamin A 42.7% Vitamin C 132.2%
Calcium 14.1% Iron 74.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet