Top 10 Low Calorie Alcoholic Drinks
Quite often, we are posed with a dilemma of whether to take in those extra calories from consuming an alcoholic beverage or disappoint our host by refusing to drink? What if we told you there was a simple solution to this problem – low calorie alcoholic drinks. Primarily, it is the accompaniments of alcohol either added to make that refreshing cocktail or consumed along with like salted pretzels, chips, etc. that contribute largely to the calorie intake. But, alcohol itself is not calorie free, in fact if you don’t choose them carefully the calories may just pile on. Given below is a list of some alcoholic beverages that are low in calories and also readily available.
Lift Your Spirits – Shed Your Calories
- Champagne: You open a bottle of champagne to celebrate! Another reason to celebrate would be when you hear that it gives only 78 calories (per 120ml)
- Sparkling Wine : The name alone does not sparkle, it sparkles amongst beverages as it is low in calories too. 120 ml of this drink contains only 90 calories
- White Wine: Chardonnay, Zinfandel or Riesling varieties of white wine contain only 90 kcal per 120 ml serving, making it a delightful choice.
- Red Wine: Not only is this wine heart healthy and loaded with antioxidants it is also low in calories. Take your pick, Merlot, Rose or Rhonewith gives only 95 kcal/120ml.
- Light Beer: Now beer would not be the cause for your pot belly, enter ‘light beer’. Available in many varieties its calorie content can range anywhere between 90 to 150 calories per 100ml drink.
- Rice sake: A Japanese alcoholic beverage by origin, it is quite popular worldwide, what adds to its charm would be its calorie content, just 138 cal in a 100ml drink.
- Whiskey: Good old whiskey! A person’s first choice when they want to enjoy a nice drink, and why not? A 100ml drink contains only 220 calories (55 cal/25ml).
- Vodka: Giving a stiff competition is a woman’s eternal favorite, vodka, which gives only 220 calories per 100 ml (55 cal/25ml), but care should be taken while choosing what goes along with it. Any aerated beverage packs it with excess calories, instead try it out with lime cordial and soda.
- Rum: Rum gives 55 to 65 calories per 25ml (around 250/100ml), thus can be enjoyed every now and then, guilt free!
- Tequila: You would definitely choose a tequila shot over a sugary cocktail when you come to know that 25ml of this drink sets you back only by 54 calories.
Remember, alcohol is best only while it is consumed in moderation, and don’t drink and drive... Walk instead! Burn the calories you have taken in!