Beer Cosies Up To Kitchen Counter
We all know that beer is a versatile beverage, but how many of us actually know that using beer in cooking can add amazing flavors to even simple dishes. From cakes and desserts to non-vegetarian recipes, beer can change the taste of even the most traditional cuisines.
Beer can be used to many different food preparation methods such as stewing, baking, marinating, poaching and even braising.
Beer contains grain, herbs, water and yeast. The grain content adds a refined sweetness, the herbs add bitterness and acidity and the yeast helps marinate meat and also makes the batter fluffy and light. Thus with all these beer ingredients, you can change the character of your dish and even add a little zing to your regular meals.
But before you use beer for cooking remember the following-
Beer like any other liquid on heating evaporates thus making the flavor strong. So make a careful choice when preparing broth.
Sometimes the delicate aroma of the beer gets lost due to continuous heating. So, the best way is use beer for cooking at a reduced heat.
Make use of darker beer in the stew at the initial stage so that you get the flavors of barley present in the beer blended perfectly with other ingredients.
If there is a beer that you don’t like to drink, don’t use it for cooking. You may not like it even in the food.
Last but not the least, keep experimenting.
Tips for Cooking with Beer
The following are some easy ways to incorporate beer into a given recipe:
•While making brownie, substitute part of the liquid content with stout.
- Beer when used for deep frying makes the fries crisp, light and fluffy.
- Steaming shellfish in beer makes it taste delicious.
- Make use of beer for making lighter and fluffier batter.
Beer also adds taste to ham and poultry items when used for glaze and baste.
Easy and quick to make beer puffs
These tiny puffs are made using beer and can be filled with tuna, chicken or crab. They also taste well with sweet fillings.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
What you need
•1 cup beer
•Filling of your choice
•8 Tablespoons butter
•1 cup all-purpose flour
•1/2 teaspoon salt
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Heat butter and beer in a heavy saucepan.
- Now add all-purpose flour, salt.
- Stir the mixture on a low flame.
- After some time, the mixture will form a ball like dough.
- Keep it aside for a minute.
- Add eggs to it one by one, till the dough becomes light and shiny.
- Make small round puffs and bake for 10 miutes at 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Bake for another 10 minutes at 350 degree Fahrenheit..
- Turn off the oven and let the puffs cool
- Now, fill it with the choice of your filling.
Relish the yummy beer puffs with friends and family.
Image credit- crazedparent.org