Satsuma Salad with Hot Cranberry Dressing
|Savoy cabbage leaves||8 , tender, trimmed|
|Satsuma||2 , peeled and cut into fans|
|Walnuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), toasted|
|Shallots||2 , trimmed, thinly sliced and cut into matchsticks|
|Walnut oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), mashed|
|Cranberries||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Orange juice concentrate||3 Tablespoon|
1. Rinse cranberries.
2. Chop the cabbage leaves into narrow strips, then slice in half so each strip is about 1- x 2-inches long (should yield about 2 cups).
3. In a large salad bowl, pile the cabbage leaves; scatter oranges, walnuts, and shallots on top.
4. To prepare dressing, In a saucepan, over medium temperature, heat oil and add garlic; cook for about 1 minute.
5. Add cranberries and 1/2-cup water to saucepan; cover and cook over medium-low heat for about 10 minutes.
6. Remove lid and cook over medium-high heat for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until liquid is nearly gone.
7. Reduce heat, stir in orange juice, and heat until bubbling.
8. Toss hot dressing with salad and serve at once.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 729 Calories from Fat 408
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 48 g73.7%
Saturated Fat 4.5 g22.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 33.3 mg1.4%
Total Carbohydrates 71 g23.7%
Dietary Fiber 13.7 g54.7%
Sugars 40 g
Protein 14 g27.1%
Vitamin A 32% Vitamin C 220%
Calcium 17.4% Iron 41.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet