Margarine Salad Dressing
|For white sauce|
|Plain flour||1⁄2 Ounce|
|Made mustard||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
1. Make White Sauce by Roux method: In a saucepan over low heat, melt 1/2 ounce margarine.
2. Add in flour and whisk with a wire whisk. Cook over low heat for three minutes, stirring constantly (This mixture is called a roux). Do not allow the mixture to brown.
3. Gradually stir in milk, whisking constantly. Cook over low heat for 3-5 more minutes until sauce begins to thicken. Season to taste.
4. Take the pan away from heat; whisk in margarine, then egg yolk.
5. Keep the saucepan back on heat. Stirring continuously, cook very gently till the egg yolk no longer tastes raw for about 2 to 3 minutes. Never boil the sauce.
4. Let it cool, covering with a lid on the pan to prevent a skin forming.
5. In a bowl, blend the seasonings with the vinegar.
6. Gradually whisk in the vinegar. Check seasoning.
7. Serve separately with salads, or use to make potato salad.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 276 Calories from Fat 174
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 20 g30%
Saturated Fat 5.7 g28.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 197.1 mg65.7%
Sodium 566.3 mg23.6%
Total Carbohydrates 18 g6.2%
Dietary Fiber 0.41 g1.6%
Sugars 6.5 g
Protein 7 g14.4%
Vitamin A 16.9% Vitamin C 0.05%
Calcium 15.8% Iron 2.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet