Sardine Salad Vinaigrette
|Sardines fillets/2 cans (4 ounces each) sardines, drained||1 Pound, skinned|
|Cucumber||1 Large, peeled, seeded, and thinly sliced|
|Scallions||6 , thinly sliced|
|Olive oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Balsamic wine vinegar/Red wine vinegar||1 Tablespoon|
|Hot red pepper sauce||1 Dash|
|Finely grated lemon zest||1 Teaspoon, grated|
|Salad leaves||4 Cup (64 tbs), prepared, torn into large pieces|
|Chopped parsley||1 Tablespoon|
|Capers||1 Tablespoon, drained|
|Grated carrot||1 Tablespoon|
1. Preheat the broiler and place the rack 4 inches from the heat.
2. Place a large wire rack, on a baking sheet and grease the rack with oil.
3. Arrange fresh sardine fillets on a broiler rack and broil for 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until the fish flakes easily.
4. Cut broiled or canned and drained sardines into 1 1/2-inch pieces. Keep aside or chill until ready to serve.
5. In a medium bowl, combine the cucumber and the scallions.
6. In a small bowl, combine the olive oil with the balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, hot red pepper sauce, and lemon zest and whisk with a fork until well amalgamated.
7. Pour half the dressing over the cucumber mixture, toss well and keep aside or in chill until ready to serve.
8. Just before serving, on a large platter or on individual salad plates, arrange the salad leaves.
9. Spoon the cucumber mixture and arrange the sardine pieces on top.
10. Drizzle with the remaining dressing and garnish with parsley, capers, and grated carrot.
11. Serve at room temperature chilled.
Calories 285 Calories from Fat 177
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 19 g29.2%
Saturated Fat 3.7 g18.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 106.7 mg35.6%
Sodium 321 mg13.4%
Total Carbohydrates 8 g2.7%
Dietary Fiber 1.9 g7.5%
Sugars 3.9 g
Protein 22 g44.1%
Vitamin A 29% Vitamin C 41.6%
Calcium 27.2% Iron 12.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet