Cooked Salad Dressing
|Sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||1 Tablespoon|
|Dry mustard||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cider vinegar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Egg yolks||4 , beaten|
1. Mix sugar, flour, dry mustard, salt and pepper thoroughly in top of a double boiler.
2. Blend in water gradually.
3. Place over direct heat. Stirring gently and constantly, bring mixture to boiling. Cook 1 to 2 min. longer. Stir in vinegar.
4. Vigorously stir about 3 tablespoons of the hot mixture into egg yolks.
5. Immediately blend egg yolk mixture into mixture in top of double boiler. Place over simmering water and cook 3 to 5 min. Stir slowly to keep mixture cooking evenly.
6. Remove from heat and blend in butter or margarine.
7. Cool. Store in covered container in refrigerator. Before using, if desired, thin with cream or fruit juice.