Iceberg Wedges With Bacon And Buttermilk Dressing
|Plum tomatoes||4 Large, bottoms marked with an x|
|Extra virgin olive oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Finely chopped thyme||1 Teaspoon, chopped|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Brioche bread||2 Ounce, cut into 3/4 inch cubes|
|Mayonnaise||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Creme fraiche/Sour cream||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Buttermilk||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Fresh lemon juice||2 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Chopped flat leaf parsley||1 Tablespoon|
|Chopped mint||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Snipped chives||3 Tablespoon|
|Bacon||1⁄2 Pound, thickly sliced bacon, cut into 2 by 1/2 inch pieces|
|Iceberg lettuce head||2 Medium, each cut into 4 wedges|
1. Preheat the oven to 275°. Prepare a bowl of ice water. In a medium pot of boiling water, blanch the scored tomatoes just until the skins loosen, about 30 seconds. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the tomatoes to the ice water to cool. Drain and peel the tomatoes, pat dry and slice them in half crosswise.
2. Arrange the tomatoes cut side up on a large nonstick baking sheet (or a baking sheet with a nonstick liner) and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Sprinkle with the chopped thyme and season with salt and pepper. Roast for about 2 1/2 hours, or until the tomatoes are very tender and slightly shrunken. Transfer the tomatoes to a plate and let cool.
3. Meanwhile, spread the brioche cubes on a small baking sheet and toast for about 15 minutes, or until golden and crisp. Let the croutons cool.
4. In a bowl, whisk the mayonnaise, creme fraiche and buttermilk until smooth. Add the lemon juice, parsley, mint and 1 tablespoon of the chives and season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until chilled.
5. In a medium skillet, cook the bacon over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until browned and slightly crisp, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain,
6. Put each iceberg wedge on a plate with a tomato half and drizzle with the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil. Top with the croutons, bacon and remaining 2 tablespoons of chives and serve with buttermilk dressing.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2380 Calories from Fat 1953
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 216 g332%
Saturated Fat 29 g144.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 209.2 mg69.7%
Sodium 2539.9 mg105.8%
Total Carbohydrates 77 g25.7%
Dietary Fiber 15.9 g63.4%
Sugars 15.5 g
Protein 37 g73.3%
Vitamin A 186.9% Vitamin C 220.8%
Calcium 20.2% Iron 44.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet