San Francisco Style Dressing
|Sliced sourdough bread loaf||1 1⁄2 Pound, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (1 Loaf)|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Pound (1/2 Cup)|
|Onions||3⁄4 Pound, peeled, finely chopped (2 Onions)|
|Thinly sliced celery||2 Cup (32 tbs) (Including Leaves)|
|Mushrooms||1⁄2 Pound, rinsed, discolored stem ends trimmed, and thinly sliced|
|Red bell pepper||1⁄2 Pound, rinsed, stemmed, seeded, and cut into 1/4-inch dice (1 Red Bell Pepper)|
|Finely chopped italian parsley||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Green onions||5 , ends trimmed, rinsed and thinly sliced|
|Condensed chicken broth||10 1⁄2 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Canned minced clams||13 Ounce (2 Cans, 6 1/2 Ounce Each)|
|Canned sliced ripe black olives||2 1⁄4 Ounce, drained (1 Can)|
|Italian seasoning blend/1 teaspoon each dried oregano and dried basil||2 Teaspoon|
|Coarse ground pepper||To Taste|
1. In a 325° oven, bake bread cubes in a 12- by 17-inch roasting pan until dry and firm to touch, 15 to 20 minutes; stir occasionally.
2. Meanwhile, in a 10- to 12-inch frying pan, combine butter, chopped onions, celery, mushrooms, and bell pepper; stir often over medium-high heat until vegetables are limp, 7 to 10 minutes.
3. Mix cooked vegetable mixture, parsley, green onions, broth, clams with juice, olives, and Italian seasonings with bread cubes in roasting pan. Add salt and pepper to taste. In a small bowl, beat eggs to blend, then stir into bread mixture.
4. Spoon into a shallow 3-quart casserole and cover tightly. (If making up to 1 day ahead, chill.)
5. Bake in a 350° oven until hot (at least 150° in center), 35 to 40 minutes (50 to 65 minutes if chilled). For a crusty top, uncover the last 20 to 30 minutes.